Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Shocking details of RAILA and Goldenberg thief KULEI


Shocking details of RAILA and Goldenberg thief KULEI


Tuesday July 10, 2012 - In what may appear to be another revelation of Goldenberg scandal architects, former Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s coalition adviser Miguna Miguna has narrated how the Premier sent his spokesman Carol Omondi to Goldenberg chief architect Joshua Kulei demanding Sh 54 million in cash to cover up his Goldenberg cases if he became the president in year 2007.

In some excerpts from his book Peeling Back the Mask: A Quest for Justice inKenya, Miguna narrates on how he met Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s spokesman Caroli Omondi carrying Sh 54 million in a petrol station. 

Here is the story….

One Saturday, I met Caroli at Oil Libya Petrol Station in Westlands near The Mall Shopping Complex ferrying piles of cash in his vehicle, stashed in plastic bags. He told me that it was just Sh54 million he had collected from former Goldenberg architect Joshua Kulei. Apparently Raila had sought help from Kulei in order to pay ODM presidential agents, a job which he had then tasked Caroli with.

I shook my head and walked away.

Raila probably knew that someone like veteran journalist and former UN functionary Salim Lone (who served as his spokesman during the 2007 campaigns and for one year after he became prime minister), former political prisoner Prof Edward Oyugi, Sarah Elderkin or myself couldn’t and wouldn’t carry Sh 54million in plastic bags, leave alone collect it from Kulei and around town with it in broad day light.

This is a deeply entrenched working political culture of Kenya. Raila, like Moi before him, was just perpetuating it. I have never been a follower. Iconoclast? May be on reflection, I should have left Raila’s campaign that afternoon. Had I done that, I would have  saved myself  some of the moral dilemmas  and angst I later faced working  for Raila as a Prime Minister.

But hindsight is of course a wonderful thing and if wishes are horses beggars would be riding them.Well, as I should have known and appreciated, once you start sliding down that moral and legal slippery rope, you can’t apply any brakes until you reach the bottom.

More to follow……

The Kenyan DAILY POST

No comments:

Post a Comment