Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I’m in ODM for long haul, declares Bett


I’m in ODM for long haul, declares Bett

  SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING
Roads minister Franklin Bett. Photo/FILE
Roads minister Franklin Bett. Photo/FILE 
By NATION CORRESPONDENT
Posted  Monday, July 16  2012 at  23:30
Roads Minister Franklin Bett on Monday dismissed reports that he was planning to ditch the Orange Democratic Movement.
Speaking in Kericho County a few days after he returned from a trip abroad, an angry Mr Bett said he had read in one of the local dailies that he had threatened to leave ODM.
He said the allegations were being peddled by his political detractors who were not happy with his push to become Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s running mate in next year’s polls.
“My decision is causing jitters in some quarters. I want my political opponents to understand that I will not be cowed into stepping back or abandoning my plans,” he said.
The minister accused opponents from the South Rift of trying to arm-twist him to leave the Orange party. He said the story started after he called an inter-party meeting of MPs in the South Rift to discuss development.
He denied claims by some MPs in the media that he was going to announce his defection to Eldoret North MP William Ruto’s United Republican Party at the function.
“I’m of sound mind and my ODM membership is a personal choice,” he said. “The reasons given against ODM are all false and I am ready to stand by the truth even if it means sacrificing my political seat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment