Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Explosive kills three children in Mt Elgon




By Sammy Jakaa and Grace Wekesa
An explosive device detonated and killed three children in Kapsitet village on the slopes of Mt Elgon.
The children, aged between seven and 16, are said to have been playing with the device at about 10am on Tuesday morning while on their way back from a shop.
Mt Elgon OCPD Robinson Mboloi said police officers who heard the explosion rushed to the scene and found the boys — two of them brothers —blown to pieces.
He said investigations had been launched to ascertain the nature of the device.
The OCPD ruled out any acts of terror and urged residents to remain calm and stop speculations.
"The police heard the loud explosion at about 10am and immediately rushed to the scene. The boys died in the explosion. I would, however, like to rule out Al Shaabab involvement in this," said the police boss.
The OCPD cautioned residents against tampering with strange devices and asked them to always report suspicious items to the police. Bomb experts were invited to carry out the investigation.
Former chairman of Mt Elgon County Council, Mr George Makasi, said the children had been sent by their parents to a nearby shop but on the way back, they saw the explosive near the road, where potatoes had been planted.
"It’s so unfortunate and sad to lose such innocent children who were jovial as they left home headed to the canteen," said Makasi.
A witness saw the three boys playing with the strange device and tried to take it away from them but the boys resisted, insisting that it was a toy.
"I was on my way from the shamba when I saw the boys playing with a brown object. I asked them what it was and told them to give it to me but they refused. I then walked away. Before I had gone far, I heard a loud explosion and smoke was all over the place. When we got there, the boys were dead," said Everlyne Masai.
Mr Moses Ruto, a shopkeeper, confirmed that the boys had visited his shop and left shortly before he heard the explosion.
"The three boys came to my shop at around 10am and bought a half kilogramme of sugar and a packet of tea leaves. I didn’t see what they were carrying because my window is high. I served them and they went away, only to see them dead a short while after," said Ruto.
Residents said they suspected the device might have been a landmine left behind by the Sabaot Land Defence Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment