Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ringtone: Let's be real


 SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTRATING


By JOHN MUCHIRI
Posted  Sunday, December 30  2012 at  02:00
IN SUMMARY
  • Alex Apoko is a man who loves to love the good life. That his music career is a success is not in doubt but is it that good to afford him a Range Rover? JOHN MUCHIRI spoke with the man who seems to stagger through the thin line between gospel and secular and got some interesting answers.
SHARE THIS STORY

  
 
0
Share

Looking at your music trend of late, lots of people are wondering if you are still a gospel musician or have moved to secular
Haha, why should anyone think like that? I am still a gospel musician and no one should doubt that.
What is your definition of a gospel musician?
Simply a musician spreading the gospel of the living God through music.
You have reportedly been frequenting clubs till very late hours. If that’s true, why?
It is very true. I am addicted to playing pool and the only place I can do that is in the clubs. I also go there to watch soccer with my friends in the music industry, most of them in the secular world.
Do you take alcohol during those night outs?
I end up sitting in tables with people taking alcohol, but I make sure I don’t. I only take soft drinks.
And you don’t care about the perception you create to your fans or the media?
In my entire music career I have received both bad and good publicity. I don’t fear that anymore. I only fear God, and I’m mature enough to know what is wrong and what is right.
So you are saying there is absolutely no problem for born again Christians to go to the clubs?
No problem at all, but the motive must be right. I have been to churches in the US where a pastor would preach on Sunday, then afterwards pass by a club to have lunch and wine. The club might also be the only place to meet someone you want to do business with. The motive of going to the club must be right in the first place.
Musicians like DNG dropped out of gospel music because of such controversies. Doesn’t that make you think twice?
Let’s face the issues here. The Kenya gospel industry loves condemning those who slip and fall, instead of loving them and bringing them back to Christ. DNG would still be rocking the gospel scene were it not for the Christians who condemned him and had to run away. He felt needed more in the secular world at the end of the day.
What more do I need to know about the Kenyan gospel music industry?
It’s full of hypocrites, and sadly I include myself because I’m in the industry too. Secular artistes love each other more than we do in gospel. We put all our energy in fighting each other instead of building one another.
Give me examples here Ringtone...
There are many. A very good one was when DNA got into the gospel scene after battling alcoholism. Gospel musicians looked at him as a threat or competition in the industry instead of embracing him.
He had a very hard time, and ultimately had to quit. Gospel musicians rarely celebrate when one does a good song. In fact, we get more calls from people in the secular world to congratulate us than from colleagues. Many times I have depended on secular musicians than the gospel ones. Ask them, they will tell you.
You are now speaking like a politician... what have you done about all these issues?
This is not a one man’s game. The whole industry needs to sit down, think again and pray about it. No one is speaking about these issues, I am now.
And who do you think is to blame?
Our very own pastors. It’s all happening under their leadership because we all belong to different churches. We need pastors to be our friends, to know our issues and guide us. A man of God like Bishop Allan Kiuna, for instance, has so much respect from all gospel musicians. He just needs to call a meeting and all of us will go running. So can many other pastors. But….
But?
The same pastors are facing the same challenges we are facing amongst themselves. They also fight each other in church.
Keep going...
When we sing as gospel artistes, we need spiritual nourishment from our pastors to keep us going. Watch your TV every Sunday, gospel musicians no longer go to church, but are guests on shows like Crossover, Kubamba, Tukuza. The host DJs like DJ Mo, DJ Sadic, DJ Soxxy, DJ Celeb, DJ Krowbar, among others, do they go to church after the shows? I will not answer for anyone but I’m sure not many pastors try to even find out.
But don’t they preach during their shows?
Even pastors, who preach every Sunday, have other spiritual fathers they look up to. In short, the gospel music industry is running on empty.
Does this explain the many scandals in the gospel industry?
Yes of course. I repeat, we are all running on empty. We need help now.
Let’s focus on you now. Politics, an expensive Range Rover, living in posh suburbs, who finances you?
I focus on events outside Nairobi, that’s where real music fans are. I motivate young people with my story as a former street kid and I get paid for that too.
How did you end up in politics?
I was tired of giving handouts on the roadside, that’s why I decided to seek an elective post in the government to help young people.
How did you afford to buy a Range Rover worth over Sh7 million, while you spent so much in the campaigns?
Honestly, after fundraising for my campaign, I used part of the money and saved some. After doing some calculations, I was able to buy my dream car when I didn’t win.
You are still in the political race?
Yes, now contesting in Nairobi’s Dagoretti North, since it’s closer for me and I will be able to attend to issues immediately.
Final message?
My fellow gospel musicians, let’s not let each other down. Let’s be real and support each other. We need to set a good example.

No comments:

Post a Comment