Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mumbi Ngaru: I know all about the kitchen politics of Kenya


Mumbi Ngaru, 53, has been in the limelight because of her ability to go against the current in the political scene, and she has paid a big price for it. However, she has come out headstrong and is not about to leave politics. She spoke to NJOKI CHEGE

I call Prime Minister Raila Odinga ‘brother’ while he calls me Nyar-okuyu or ‘girl from Kikuyuland’, which I think is okay. I believe in his dream and vision for Kenya. We are close to a level where I am able to speak my mind with him.
I am privileged that he seeks my opinion and views on various issues. He respects me as I do him, something that is largely misunderstood.
I first met Raila in 2002 when, as the Minister for Energy, he came to Thika to officiate the annual Lion’s eye check-up.
Mumbi Ngaru, [Photos: maxwell agwanda/standard]
Thika is an interesting town with a lot of potential. At that time, former President Moi had an eye on the town as it was Uhuru’s backyard. Raila too, had some vested interest; therefore Thika became connected to national politics. I was caught in between that, hence my entry into national politics.
I was nominated as a councillor in the Thika Municipality in 1997 under the Social Democratic Party (SDP).
Deputy mayor
After six months as a councilor, my colleagues asked me to join them in the working committes of the council, but I declined as I felt I needed more time to master the operations of the council.
One evening when I was coming home from school — I was pursuing a degree in Law at the University of Nairobi — I found several councillors seated in my living room. After assuring me that all was well, they told me that they wanted me to vie for the Deputy Mayor’s seat the next month.
I wanted to say no but they urged me. I was elected unanimously as Deputy Mayor of Thika Municipal Council. Six months into the office, the then Mayor was surcharged on allegations of abuse of office.
I took up office as Acting Mayor when the municipal council was at its lowest. Workers’ salaries were in arrears, the workers striked constantly and outlawed gangs had taken over. It was chaotic and at times I felt like giving up, but my leadership skills came in handy.
Six months later in 2000, I was confirmed Mayor and I served in the position for three and a half years.
With the backing of like-minded councillors, we streamlined the municipality’s operations and were voted the best managed municipality in Kenya.
After 2002, I did not vie for the seat again, not only for political reasons, but also because I felt I had done my bit there. I joined the National Rainbow Coalition (Narc)through Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and sat on the Narc Elections Board.
The Narc win in 2002 was a big win for us, well, except for those of us in LDP. The Memorundum of Understanding (MOU) was not honoured. I was offered an ambassador’s position on condition that I resigned from LDP. I refused because I did not want to be involved in the shenanigans of broken promises.
I was appointed the Executive Director of the LDP Secretariat and was tasked with the duty of recruitment, leading party programmes and conducting civic education.
During the 2005 Referendum, I joined the Orange team, which won overwhelmingly.
Being a member of Narc, I got a lot of opposition from politicians in Thika who thought I should supportKanu. People hurled harsh words at me and belittled me on the basis of being a woman politician, but it made me stronger.
After my interaction with Raila Odinga, I realised that he was probably the only politician who understood the needs of Kenyans and has a dream for the country.
I was at a vantage point, where I saw the party intrigues from the frontline. I knew how dirty politics could get and the extent that people go to just to gratify their own greed. Like Joe Khamisi put it, Kenyan politics is ‘politics of betrayal’.
The Karatina saga always crops up when I appear before people. It was in 2007 when we attended the funeral of one of our party officials. The Prime Minister wanted to have some tea since it was cold and rainy. He suggested we go to a certain hotel, which he knew was owned by one of his friends –– Peter Kuguru.
Unwelcome
Not knowing that the hotel had been sold off to someone else, we went in and asked for tea. The manager was excited to see us, so much so that she called the owner of the hotel to inform her of the surprise guests. The owner ordered her staff not to serve us until she came. We all wondered what was wrong, but soon our questions were answered when we saw the owner come in screaming hysterically, almost lifting her dress in the air and hurling insults at us. She told us that she did not need our money and chased us out of her premises. The message was clear: Raila was unwelcome there.
I had known eyebrows would be raised when I associated with Raila, but I didn’t think it would be that bad. It was downright brutal. I was called names and all sorts of rumours flew around, especially the one that I am Raila’s girlfriend.
I don’t fret about the rumours as long as I know the truth and my family understands my decisions.
As Raila’s presidential campaign team leader in Central Province, I had a lot to contend with during the 2007 elections. It pricked my conscience that people were using crude methods to campaign, and I think the post-election violence was anticipated. In one way or the other, we took part in fuelling the violence.
Even though I did not lose any property or family, I, too, was affected. I sheltered people in my house as it was a difficult time for everyone.
I also had my fair share of threats as people came to my house threatening me to tell my ‘friend’ Raila to accept defeat and stop the ‘nonsense’. I was even given 14 days to leave Central Province, and another 21 days to remove the name Mumbi from all my official documents because the name is sacred. But I thank God that He gave us the strength to sail through.
I believe the future holds big things for me, and even bigger things for this nation. We are at a time where Kenya, thanks to the new Constitution, has been given a chance to revive itself. Women have been given the opportunity to serve the country.
Patriotism
I believe in the power of a woman to change this nation. The role of women is to detribalise this country, by raising their children to be patriotic and to see beyond colour and tribe. We also need to invest in the youth because they have the power and energy to drive this country to great heights.
In future, I would like to serve my country at a regional (or even international) arena, and take part in core decision-making. I will remain politically active (on Raila’s side), but I will not go into elective politics or join a government where I have to watch my back or change political parties for the sake of elections.
Of course, I will continue being the PM’s advisor on many issues and garner support for him in Central Province.
A book about the kitchen politics of Kenya is in the pipeline. Having been a player in the kitchen of national politics, it’s time people knew exactly what makes the Kenyan politician tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment