Saturday, October 24, 2009

ROBERT ONDERE

Lugoff-Elgin High School (L-EHS) math teacher Robert Ondere just received the surprise of a lifetime.
In a schoolwide assembly on Tuesday afternoon, S.C. Superintendent of Education Jim Rex made the surprise announcement that Ondere was the recipient of the prestigious Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award.

In addition to receiving the award, Ondere was presented with a giant $25,000 check, which can be used any way he chooses.

"Thank you for giving me this opportunity. I don't know what to say," a stunned Ondere said as he accepted his award. "I just want to thank everybody."

Moments before he was recognized as the recipient of the prestigious award, an unsuspecting Ondere sat with L-EHS students in the high school's gymnasium. At the time, Ondere said he had no idea why he was attending the assembly, but didn't give it much thought.

"But when they called my name and said I won the award, it was unbelievable. I never thought this would happen," Ondere said. "It feels good to be recognized."

2 comments: