Sunday, November 20, 2011

THREATS ON MY LIFE SHALL NOT DETER ME


Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE....
.


THREATS ON MY LIFE SHALL NOT DETER ME 


By MIGUNA MIGUNA

Issued at Nairobi, Kenya – Saturday, November 29th, 2011

At 7 a.m. this morning, I received a telephone call from my father-in-law who resides in Migori town, in Migori County, in Nyanza Province, informing me that yesterday, four men who identified themselves as ODM politicians from Kisumu visited him at his home and demanded that he communicates to me the following:

(a) That I have been saying and writing bad things about Raila Odinga; and
(b) That if I don’t stop immediately, they will kill me.


After issuing this threat, the men left.

Sometime last week, another person visited my elder brother in Magina village in Kisumu County, Nyanza Province and issued a similar threat.

My father-in-law is an elderly retired education officer. My brother is a retired public officer. They are both innocent and law abiding citizens of this country.

They were deeply troubled, worried, traumatized and concerned about the threat. I am similarly concerned.

Last Thursday November 10th, 2011, I received written communication from the Chief Executive Officer of theStarnewspaper, Mr. William Pike, advising that the Prime Minister, Raila Odinga, was very upset about an article I had published in the Star on Tuesday November 8th, 2011, titled: “We Must Never Tolerate Theft of Public Resources”. That article was about corruption in government; not about Raila Odinga.

William requested that I should “go slow on the Prime Minister” in my column until the “dust settles.” TheStarsubsequently caved in to political pressure from the Prime Minister and refused to publish an article I submitted for my column of Tuesday November 15th on political violence and hooliganism. That article appears in today’s issue of the People newspaper (and is attached herewith).

I take all threats to my life very seriously. I intend to file a formal complaint with the Criminal Investigations Department shortly after this press conference. I expect and demand that these threats be thoroughly investigated and the culprits dealt with to the full extent of the law.

My freedom of thought, conscience, expression and association are entrenched, enshrined and guaranteed by the Constitution. I shall never waive them nor allow anybody – no matter how powerful – to violate them without a good fight.

Finally, I hope and expect that my security that was arbitrarily and maliciously withdrawn on August 4th, 2011 will be reinstated with immediate effect.

My life is more sacred and more important that someone’s delusional belief that he has a God-given right to the presidency of the Republic of Kenya!

I shall continue to exercise all my rights without fear or favour.



« Last Edit:Yesterday at 2:38pm byOnyango Oloo »


Read more:http://jukwaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6143#ixzz1eCBNoC3F

No comments:

Post a Comment