Saturday, October 20, 2012

BARAZA to represent UHURU and RUTO in integrity case




Friday October 19, 2012 - Word has it that former Deputy Chief Justice Nancy Baraza, resigned from her office to represent Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta and Eldoret North MP William Ruto on an integrity case which is in Supreme Court, on whether the two will vie for Presidency.

Baraza may be taking a more prominent position; which will include representing Kenyatta and Ruto at the Supreme Court, inorder to meet head to head with his former boss Chief Justice Dr Willy Mutunga, who ordered President Kibaki to sack him

“If she appears, the target will be Dr Willy Mutunga,” a source explained.

When resigning on Thursday Baraza explained her decision was prompted by her lack of confidence in getting a fair trial in the five-judge bench that was to determine her appeal at Supreme Court.

She singled out her former boss, Chief Justice Willy Mutunga, for making prejudicial remarks in a television interview endorsing the decision of the tribunal.

"Although I have preferred an appeal in the Supreme Court challenging the recommendations of the tribunal set up be your Excellency to probe my conduct, I do not see myself getting a fair and impartial hearing before the court as currently constituted. Two of the judges sat at the Judicial Service Commission which petitioned your Excellency to appoint the tribunal that probed my conduct. They cannot therefore logically and legally sit on my appeal,” Baraza said

"Secondly the Chief Justice in a recent television interview endorsed the tribunal's recommendations against me which are the subject of my appeal. This has compounded my fears that I will not get a fair trial before a bench in which he will participate. I still reject the tribunal findings which I found most injudicious and not founded in known principles of law. However, our country is bigger and greater than any one of us,” she added

The Kenyan DAILY POST

No comments:

Post a Comment