The site will post the latest news from Kenya without bias. Please visit regularly to receive breaking news.
Thank you for visiting.
FOR DAILY INSPIRATIONS, PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Kibaki cancels Sasini trip after Star's story
WEDNESDAY, 20 JULY 2011 00:07 BY STAR REPORTER
PRESIDENT Kibaki cancelled the visit of his retirement home at Mweiga Sasini Estate yesterday after the Star leaked the story. All preparations were complete, according to the workers who works at the 1,000-acre farm. Lunch was even ready. Five tents had been erected at the compound ready for the big day only to be demolished later in the evening.
Kibaki’s security details were on Monday afternoon flown to the area ready for the function according to sources from the farm. He was expected to commission a Sh500 million retirement home. The fencing of the compound is set to be completed within two months. The workers started preparations for the visit since last Friday and had already been given a one day off in order to give their guest enough time to visit the farm.
One of the prestigious hotels had been contracted for the outside catering of the day. “We had a rough time trying to finish all the food which had been kept aside for the guests who never turned up. But it was a godsend in this hard economic times when the area is being hit by drought. We packed the food in yellow paper bags for future use,” said one worker who sought anonymity.
The local provincial administration had reportedly arrived to the farm at the morning hours but later left on learning that the function will never kick off. The workers were told that the President, who was supposed to fly to the area, would not do so because the weather was foggy and cloudy.