Monday, July 11, 2011

Gesami denies he is on the run over CDF scam

E-mail Print PDF
Share/Save/Bookmark Mugirango West MP James Gesami has said last week’s police raid on his rural home was mischievous and illegal. The Public Health and Sanitation assistant minister denied claims that he is on the run over misappropriation of Constituency Development Funds.
It was reported that on Thursday last week officials from the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission and the police raided Gesami’s Simbauti home in Kisii to arrest him over alleged misappropriation of about Sh26 million of his constituency funds.
However speaking yesterday for the first time since the raid at Karen hospital where he is was hospitalised for hypertension, Gesami condemned the raid arguing that it had infringed on his privacy and that no warrant of arrest had been issued against him. “On Thursday at 1am,  I was informed that 12 armed policemen from Manga police station raided my rural home, searching for me under my ailing mother’s bed even without the arrest nor search warrant. Why should the police be looking for me at such an ungodly hour especially when they know exactly where I can be found?”  Gesami said adding that the raid had disturbed him  leading his hospitalisation.
He said he had not resisted or dodged arrests and that he had not received any information that he was being soought by the police. The KACC boss Patrick Lumumba declined to comment on the issue.
Gesami explained that till Wednesday he was conducting his business as usual shuffling between his Afya house office and continental house, before he went to Mombasa on Thursday to attend the Speaker’s conference.“On that Thursday in the morning someone by the name Bosire from KACC called me saying my mobile phone indicated I was in Nairobi, and I told him I was in Mombasa and that  I would send my lawyer to represent me if there were any issues," Gesami said adding that his lawyer and the KACC officials agreed that he, (Gesami) should go to Integrity House today.
KACC has been investigating the MP for alleged misuse of the CDF money, the body has claimed that a total of about Sh1.6 million of the missing CDF cash could be traced in the MPs personal accounts and that vehicles registered in the MPs and wife names were drawing oil from CDF contracted supplier.
But accompanied by his wife, son and daughter Gesami said his was a case of the hunter becoming the hunted saying read politics in the whole issue.“In 2010 I was the first person to blow the whistle on mismanagement of the CDF funds and even went further to fire the CDF executive but they turned around and said am the one who stole the money,” Gesami said. Even though he doesn’t deny that CDF money was lost, he said the raid was in bad faith and unnecessary harassment to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment