Sunday, January 9, 2011

Interview: One On One With Ann Kiguta


PDF Print E-mail


She's TV's latest IT girl in our opinion and from the look of things, we are not far off. Ann Kiguta is a girl who knows what she wants and won't stop until she gets it. Her move to television from radio (Capital FM) is, according to her, the second step in a highly top secret mission to take over the universe. The bubbly girl with dreamy eyes who seems to be getting all the right accolades sat down with our team and we had fun.

How's your on-air experience treating you?
Really good actually (cross my fingers, hope not to jinx it). I'm learning a whole lot and I feel so blessed for the support I've received.

Why did you switch from radio to TV?
Well, it was time for a new challenge... six years in radio was a good run I reckon, and more importantly, it was the second step in a highly top secret mission to take over the universe :)

Was it a hard choice or did you make it in your sleep?
It was a very tough choice. I try to lead a quiet life and by the time I was approached I was very heavy with child; it was a lot of novelty to take on in my life at the time, and it's tough to leave an organisation (CapitalFM) that you love and are comfortable in.

What don't people know about being on television as opposed to radio?
Hmm, er, it's demanding with capital 'D's' all the way; its waaaaaaaaay tougher than it looks. There is a type-set of who should be on TV and woe unto you if you don't match it...

What do you think people make of you on air?
Wow... hard to say really... maybe you should tell me... I think people appreciate that I'm more than a teleprompter reader and the occasional weave. That really comes across when I do stories and host news programmes and get the feedback.

From our point of view, you are doing a good job on air, you think the same?
Thanks, that means a lot coming from fellow journalists! I'm happy with the progress I'm making and I'm so so very thankful for all the support I'm receiving. I get to work with really phenomenal guys here and it just makes it that much more fun!

Everybody seems to be jumping ship from KTN, are you comfortable there or are you looking for another station?
Heavens, how alarmist! I hear that a lot out there and I keep asking who is everybody? Yes, literally speaking, two or three people have left. Surely that cannot be everyone. But honestly one must allow them that choice and you can't make them feel like traitors about it. Do what's right for you, this is what's right for me.

Are you done with radio? Is TV the place for you?
One step at a time. I'm on this one and I love it. Radio still is one of my great loves.

What drives you?
Not in any order here but... My audience, giving them the very best of myself, they deserve nothing less. My personal goals, living up to my potential for my own sake and for my darling (daughter) Wairimu. I want to be able to tell her to reach for the stars and really mean it because I thankfully found courage to pursue my own dreams.

How's family life treating you?
Ohhh! it's so much fun. Helping me grow and healing me a lot, hard work, great fun, it's everything!

What do you do when you are off air?
At work, you know the drill... collecting, collating, planning, eat, drink, the news. At home, I spend most of the day playing with Wairish who started walking on Christmas Eve! and there is also the whole, and I do mean whole 'mke nyumbani' (wife) thing.

How do you prepare for the News?
When I'm on air: getting in early, going through the stories, sometimes 'subbing' them, researching the content, counter checking facts, getting briefs from editorial...

Any experiences you would want to forget from the short time you've been on air?
Yes but I wouldn't want to share them here as I'm hoping you'd forget them too!

Do you think the media has been kind to you?
Well, I'm not sure it is a matter of kindness. Er, I think it's more of reaping what you sow, working hard and not expecting any favours. I assure you, with my eighth year in journalism, I've done my time in the trenches!

What makes you happy and sad?
Happy? Just the silliest, simplest things like a well cooked meal and Wairimu who is super cool and very funny, hilarious actually!

Who is your role model?
Not one, many. The many women in media who came before me and navigated a very testosterone-driven industry, took a lot of the punches so that my generation of female journalists would have a real shot.

How does your partner handle your fame?
Hehe! I've never referred to him as 'my partner'.. I'll go call him that tonight! Seriously though, we've known each other for eons since I started out at Hope FM when I was 18yrs. So he's seen me through my career growth and that's never really been an issue. Plus I live a really normal life; work is work and it doesn't follow me home.

What made him be the lucky dude?
Good question! Ask him! Many things really but let's keep it PG, not get mushy and say he's a good man and he sees me, the frightfully raw me and not my job.

You are constantly being hit on, how do you repel the massive advances?
Massive? Lol! I don't think of it as 'massive' and certainly not as 'hitting on me'...that sounds entirely too serious when largely it is in some cases misplaced affection, and in others, hearty enthusiasm over what I do. But it is on some level encouraging that so many people care and appreciate what I do.

Everybody seems to be talking about "Anne Kiguta's legs" does that bother you?
What do they say? Didn't think anyone notices or even cares but, no, I'm not bothered. Actually few things have the potential to bother me and I assure you physical appearance is not on the list. The day the audience accuses me of bias or getting the facts wrong I'll be bothered. But now that I know they generate debate, er, let's not go to war over them!

What's the deal with the "midnight" eyes? Are they natural or do you wear contact lenses?
Haha! 'midnight eyes' and what type of eyes are those? I actually don't have the greatest of sight, I'm short sighted so yes I wear clear prescription contacts sometimes but i just have small eyes really, there's no big mystery there and thankfully they aren't blood shot.

Which one is overrated, TV or Radio?
Neither darlin'. It's the real deal!

1 comment: