Sunday, February 3, 2013

I’m the Man Who Will Take You To Canaan, Pattni Tells Westlands


Q: What made you make a last minute decision to vie for Westland Parliamentary seat?
A: I did not push myself into the position but circumstances did. We are experienc- ing failed policies that need to be changed. As a private citizen, I cannot make a lot of changes, but as a legislator I will have the power to introduce new laws that respect and uphold basic human rights and also strengthen existing ones.
If I fail to do it, I will have let many people down.
Q: So, what will be your strategy in ensuring that you win the seat held by out- going and now retired MP Fred Gumo for more than two decades?
A: I am going to talk to the constituents, and I believe they are going to listen to me. It took the Israelites 40 years to reach Canaan. And it has taken my people more than that since independence. I know they have ears and will listen to the voice of reason. They are going to use their votes to reach Canaan as I am telling them the reality. My politics is not about tribe, coalitions or political parties. It is about secur- ing their livelihood and they can only do that through the power of voting.
Q: What are your plans for the constitu- ents?
A: I have three main things that I want to do for them, and I have set up the West- lands Welfare Foundation and Westland Jobless Welfare Foundation which will help me implement the same.
This will issue a jobless card to the jobless people. Holders of this card will enjoy one free meal a day, free outpatient medical cover which I am working with the NHIF to implement and housing which I am work- ing with NGOs to build over 5,000 housing structures for the slum dwellers within a period of four years.
The jobless foundation will help fight unemployment in the constituency as I will work with all business firms around the constituency through their Corporate So- cial Responsibility.
Q: That is quite a good plan, so how are you going to sustain it?
A: As I have indicated in my manifesto, I am going to donate my parliamentary salary and allowances to the two founda- tions. Second, as I told you, I am working with business firms in this constituency to push for a working CSR. Third, I have over- seas NGOs that have promised to help and donate into the cause and I am sure it will be successful.
Q: As you vie for the Westlands seat, who are you endorsing as the Nairobi gover- nor?
A: As the chairman of Kenda, the council of Kenyan elders and as a pastor, I will not endorse any specific person, as it is imma- terial for me to do so since that power lies in the votes of the people.
But I would urge the people of Westland’s and Nairobians at large to look genuinely at the person and what the person can do to improve their lives as individuals. Someone who will bring food to their ta- bles and give them better living standards.
Q: Your opponents are likely to cite the Goldernberg scandal as the dark cloud over you. What is your defence?
A: Kamlesh pattni is a man who has been accused in courts and has never been found guilty and I want my people to also remember that there are politicians who have been accused like me and are still eyeing public office.
Deep inside me, I know Goldenberg is in the past and I gave back everything, more than what was being claimed like the Grand Regency. I have gone to courts and proven my innocence. For my opponents, I pray for them and tell them that before you point at the speck in your brother’s eye, you should first remove the log in your eyes.
I know the scandal was a tribulation but I believe that a good person shall suffer but his or her bones will not be broken.
Q: Parting shot?
A: I want to plead with the people of Westlands constituency to reject failed policies that we have been trying to implement over and over. Let them vote for someone whom they are sure will bring real change to their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment