Friday, October 19, 2012

Obama, Romney to Trade Jokes at Dinner


Obama, Romney to Trade Jokes at Dinner

Above, highlights from the 2008 dinner with Sen. McCain and then-Sen. Obama. More highlight below.
For anyone sick of the nastiness of politics, Thursday night’s Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner is for you: President Barack Obama and GOP rivalMitt Romney are the keynote speakers. It’s a night of comity and comedy, and a chance to take a break from the attacks.
The best jokes are usually those directed at oneself, as Republican John McCainand Democrat Barack Obama proved in 2008.
Some of their best lines from that dinner:
 McCain:
“This morning, I’ve dismissed my entire team of senior advisers. All their positions will now be held by a man named Joe the Plumber.”
Noting the absence of former President Bill Clinton: ” Where’s Bill, by the way? Can’t he take one night off from his tireless quest to make the man who defeated his wife the next president?”
“It’s going to be a long, long night at MSNBC if I manage to pull this thing off.”
Explaining how he had seen an advance copy of Obama’s upcoming remarks: “I do need to warn you, ladies and gentlemen, you all are about to witness the funniest performance in history. ..the funniest 15 minutes of your life or any other. I think he knows that anything short of that would mar the evening, insult our hosts, and perhaps even cost him several swing states. Senator Obama, the microphone is all yours.”
 Obama:
“I was thrilled to get this invitation and I feel right at home here because it’s often been said that I share the politics of Alfred E. Smith and the ears of Alfred E. Neumann.”
“Tonight’s venue isn’t really what I’m used to. I was originally told we’d be able to move this outdoors to Yankee Stadium, and — can somebody tell me what happened to the Greek columns that I requested?”
“Who is Barack Obama? Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth.”
“The mayor of this great city, Michael Bloomberg, is here. The mayor recently announced some news — made some news by announcing he’s going to be rewriting the rules and running for a third term, which caused Bill Clinton to say, you can do that?”

No comments:

Post a Comment