Monday, November 8, 2010

Ruto: My trip to Hague was worth every minute

By Online Team

Eldoret North MP William Ruto arrived on Monday morning from The Hague where he had gone to see the International criminal Court (ICC) investigators over his role in the 2007 post-election violence.

On arrival, Ruto, who addressed the press at a Nairobi hotel, said he used the trip to The Hague to share with ICC investigators what he knows about 2007 post-election violence.

“I used the opportunity to share my point of view and the information that I have on issues ICC is investigating in our country,” said the suspended Higher Education minister.

His wife Rachel, mother and over 10 Members of Parliament were among hundreds of people who were at the airport to receive him.

Ruto comes back from The Hague, as ICC investigators in Kenya get ready to interview security officers who served in areas that experienced the election violence.

The ICC, The Standard has established, has issued summons to several security officials who were targeted for questioning.

Ruto said he is keen to set the record straight and contribute in resolving the issues and falsehood surrounding the chaos currently under ICC investigation.

He accused the Waki Commission and Kenya National Human Rights Commission of manufacturing and spreading falsehoods.

“Kenya National Human Rights Commission and Waki (Commission) did not give some of us, and especially myself, opportunity to respond to issues raised. The judge himself (Philip Waki) went ahead to peddle falsehood that I had testified when I had not,” said Ruto.

The suspended minister also took a swipe at some lawyers and politicians whom he accused of perpetrating falsehoods in Waki and KNHR reports by recruiting, coaching and giving money to witnesses.

“You cannot buy truth, hire truth, sell truth or negotiate the truth. The truth sets the innocent free and bring to book or accountability the guilty,” he said.

Saying his trip to The Hague was worth every minute, Ruto said it was up to the ICC investigators to carry out their duties.

He wondered why ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo chose to take off to London when he was aware that he would be at ICC yet he (Ocampo) was the one who revealed to journalists that I had written requesting to see him.

“It was Ocampo who revealed to the journalists of a minister who had written to him but I don’t know he decided to take off from The Hague when I went there?

“When I requested to see him, he agreed that I should go to his offices at The Hague, and I did that this month,” Ruto said.

Ruto wrote three letters asking for an appointment with Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, and on the last he was granted — something that has unsettled senior politicians who were left guessing the details of the case Ruto may have put up in self-defence.

“I presented my position in writing and in tapesÉI was asked very many questions and I answered very many questionsÉI am not ready to discuss any more than what I have said,” said Ruto.

1 comment:

  1. http://nipate.com/others-get-lawyers-ruto-goes-face-to-face-t740.html

    ReplyDelete