Monday, July 21, 2014

An open letter on Media Accuracy-Julie Gichuru

An open letter on Media Accuracy:
Ref: Sunday Nation Lifestyle Magazine, July 20th, pg 5
I appreciate that the Sunday Nation Lifestyle Magazine decided to do a piece on me however I am concerned at the distortion of the first question in the article. Thankfully, due to my experience with print media, I always opt to conduct interviews on email to avoid any inaccuracies. My caution was certainly in order as illustrated by this incident.
Truth be told, it would have been a lovely piece if the writer had avoided the temptation to omit critical facts and to distort and falsify the first question, coming up with the narrative that I quit law school to study journalism. Two small problems: I did not quit law school and I did not study journalism.
I highlight this because it is a frightening example of what can go wrong so easily with media. The answers were all there. But somehow it wasn't exciting enough and the narrative was changed.
I am lucky that I have a voice that is amplified due to my presence in the media, but what happens to so many who don't?
Frightening stuff.
------
Sunday Nation Lifestyle Interview with Julie Gichuru titled "I quit law school to become a journalist" (which happen to be words that I never uttered)
The actual question & answer:
Qtn 25. From the records, at a tender age of 10, you wanted to be a criminal lawyer, what happened?
I studied law and found that in principle I disagreed with most of the laws on Evidence. I felt they were skewed and inequitable. I had a greater love and passion for commercial law. It was unexpected but I adapted.
The amended & published question & answer that appeared as question 1 and the focus of the interview:
Q: Did you always want to be a journalist?
I studied law and found that in principle I disagreed with most of the laws on evidence. I felt they were skewed and inequitable. So I dropped out to pursue a degree in journalism.
=========
In an earlier question The issue of educational background had already been addressed:
Qtn 11. What do you consider as the biggest career decision you ever have made?
I have made several big career decisions and each of them proved to be a huge factor in my growth both in career and also on knowledge.
The first was to move from my initial career path… I studied Law and then did an MBA with a focus on World Trade Law and International Business, but I ended up in media.
Dear Nation Media Group,
What remedy do we have in situations like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment