Monday, May 13, 2013

Why Sserenkuma always scores against ‘Ingwe’



BY ODINDO AYIEKO

Posted on Monday, May 13th, 2013 at 12:48 am
Dan Sserenkuma has made it a hobby to score against AFC Leopards. He has his reasons, and they are deep.
“When I came to Kenya last season, I wanted to play for AFC Leopards. I approached them but one of their officials said I did not look like a footballer. He called me an impostor. That hurt,” he said.
“I promised myself to always play hard against AFC, just to show them what talent they had turned away without as much as a second thought. And I am doing exactly that – creating misery for them by scoring in their goal every chance I get,” he added.
The dimunitive Ugandan, the reigning Kenyan footballer of the Year, scored four goals against Leopards last season, two when he was at City Stars when they beat AFC Leopards 3-0 at the Nyayo National Stadium.
When he joined Gor Mahia in June last year, he pumped in another two against Ingwe in the September derby at the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani.
Lack of respect
On Sunday, he was billed to be the player to watch during the first ‘Mashemeji derby’ in the current season.
“I knew they were going to man-mark me. I knew it was not going to be easy because they had probably come to read my style of play. But somehow, I found an opportunity and ensured I utilised it.”
Leopards fans now say they must devise a way of taming Sserenkuma who they say has got ‘very scant respect’ for them.
“One man cannot be the one to kill us every other time. What grudge does he have against us? We are ready to bury that grudge so that we can have a peaceful Mashemeji derby,” said Elisha Mulamula, a Leopards scout, after the game which Sserenkuma’s 75th minute goal won K’Ogalo the three points on offer.
Best footballer
Back in September, Sserenkuma drilled in a double, his second from an acute angle, which was then picked as one of the ‘goals of the season’.
On Sunday, he did not have to score a classic; all he had to do was tap in an Edwin Lavatsa pass.
“It feels so great to score against AFC Leopards. Today, I did not expect to score, but either God is always on my side against them or they inadvertently create space for me to score – I can’t tell. What matters is that I scored.”
The 22-year-old, third-born in a family of four, joined Friends of Football Academy in Uganda at the age of 10.
He says he was inspired by Ugandan legend, the late Majid Musisi, who many Ugandans regard as the country’s best footballer of all time.
Leopards were dominant; they had the pace and mobility, but their problem lay in the final ball. Gor, on the other hand, had more ball possession and made incredible passes, but most of the possession was happening in their half save for occasional runs.
Sserenkuma, Rama and Edwin Lavatsa combined for the Ugandan to score the winner – Gor Mahia’s 21st in the derby and second consecutive.
K’Ogalo remain four wins short of Leopards who have won 25 times in their 73 meetings thus far.
From the win, Gor Mahia are now in fifth position with 17 points from nine games, and Leopards 12th with 11 points from 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment