Monday, September 3, 2012

Holy Dave



  SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING
David Muthengi
David Muthengi  NATION MEDIA GROUP
By JOHN MUCHIRI
Posted  Saturday, September 1  2012 at  19:00
IN SUMMARY
  • David Muthengi is a force to reckon with in gospel hip-hop music; but he feels greatly misunderstood as he told JOHN MUCHIRI
Buzz: You have been attracting controversial publicity of late
It’s normal for everyone who gets into the limelight. I must admit, it’s not very easy to be on the spotlight all the time and I think people have to understand that first.
What do you feel makes it hard?
Separating private and public life can be very difficult, that’s reason number one. Those who know me very well, know that I am a people’s person and dedicated to family and friends.
What’s the second reason?
I try to accept everyone for who they are without judgement. For this reason, I attend many social events to support my close friends and family.
A section of the entertainment press said you were consuming alcohol during Prezzo’s home-coming party the other day
But they don’t have proof of that. You see, Prezzo is my friend and he invited me to the party. I have many friends in the industry. So when I get tired standing in some party, sit down near some alcohol that I wasn’t consuming, does that make me guilty already?
I understand, but how does your family look at that?
Share This Story
  
For my parents, they don’t know much about my social life but for my siblings, I almost attend these events with them all the time. They know me well and that’s the most important thing.
All your siblings are in the showbiz industry?
They are more or less involved. My younger sister Joey, who is our last born, is a radio presenter at Capital FM and a video jockey with Channel O.
How about the rest?
My older sister Grace is not directly in entertainment and so is my brother Mumo and our eldest sister Eunice. However, we are now investing in a music production studio as a family business, that means they will soon be fully in showbiz.
So who lives in the US?
At the moment, no one is. But they all went to college in the US, some worked there, apart from me.
Why is that?
Well, the US was our home when we were growing up, some of my siblings were born there, others in Kenya. But at some point we moved back to Kenya when my dad got a job in Machakos, which became our home.
So where did you go to high school?
I went to Machakos Boys. Joey and I were the only ones who were left behind when the rest went to college in the US.
That means you had easy childhood?
Not at all. First of all, I grew up knowing that I was the less fortunate one in my family. In my KCPE, I scored 568 marks out of 700, missing one point to go to Lenana School, my choice.
But here I am, going to Machakos Boys, while my sister went to Rift Valley Academy. While Joey’s school fees was Sh105,000 mine was Sh5,000. As a growing teenage boy, would you see any fairness in that?
Very difficult to understand, and then?
I started doing drugs and alcohol in school, dealing more on entertainment stuff than education. At the end, I failed and got a C.
You got your masters last year, explain that
Well, I managed to get to Daystar University, where I did a degree in computer science, but kept a low profile. That’s when I decided to focus on my music career. I later went to USIU and got a masters in business administration.
Share This Story
  
Was life easier while in the university?
At Daystar, yes, but it later changed. While my parents paid for my tuition fees, my brother Mumo, who had a good job in the US, supported my music financially and everything I wanted too.
So what changed?
An accident changed it all. I borrowed one of Mumo’s friends car here in Nairobi one evening. While driving in the city, I hit another car accidentally and seven men came out of it. I couldn’t stop, so I drove off.
In the process I hit three other vehicles and later rolled at Museum Hill roundabout. I finally ended up at Central police station.
What’s the big deal?
I lost my family’s trust. Everyone was angry at me, my brother paid for all the damages on condition that I pay him back when I get a job.
Has the situation changed now?
Yes, it’s been hard but all is good now. I realise that as a Christian public figure now, I’m not living for me alone. I am actually more involved in more growth related stuff than before.
Like what?
I co-founded Mad Love Lounge five years ago, a platform that gave budding musicians a chance to perform. Some big gospel hip-hoppers who have performed there include Juliani, Eko Dydda and MC Dice. But we stopped that this year, we are now doing a weekly Bible study and a monthly artistes’ breakfast.
Final comments?
It’s a tough journey, but through it all we press on, fight on and pray on.
jmuchiri@ke.natiionmedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment