Wednesday, June 6, 2012

MP denies being drunk in Eldoret


MP denies being drunk in Eldoret

E-mailPrintPDF
IT WASN'T ME: Emgwen MP Elijah Lagat
EMGWEN MP Elijah Lagat yesterday denied that he was found in the streets of Eldoret town too drunk to walk. Lagat said he had received many calls following reports on Twitter and the Internet that he was the man. "I was at my home when so many people started calling me and I got shocked," said Lagat. He said that he had been meeting delegations from his constituency on Sunday night. "Last night (Sunday) I was at a bar called Mama Mias. I left at 11pm and went to my house. I woke up and at 9am I was in a bank," he said. "With my position as an MP some people may just want to damage my name but the truth is that I am not the one involved," said Lagat. "Nothing happened. It is extortionists. They wanted money and I refused," he said.
Residents of Eldoret found a man sprawled on the street just off the main Uganda Road around 5am on Monday. The rumour that it was the MP quickly spread. Some members of the public took the man away in a taxi just before journalists arrived at the scene. The man who had been drinking with a female friend lost his mobile phone during the incident. "He was lying here for quite sometime and he could not even communicate properly. His friends decided to help him using a taxi that took him to his home", said a taxi driver who witnessed the episode.
Last month another MP got stuck in a pub after he was unable to pay bills amounting to Sh6,000. Bouncers refused to release him until his cousin was woken up to come and pay the bill. Meanwhile police have stepped up patrols in Eldoret town and its environs following complaints of insecurity in the region. Deputy OCPD Charles Mutua said the security had been tightened with increased patrols in all areas within the town center and in residential areas. "We are working closely with the public to ensure that the security situation is good. We have been able to deal with most of the gangs which have been terrorizing residents and we hope to maintain the security throughout", said Mutua.
The killing of Moi University lecturer Ambrose Chedotum last month was among the incidents that had caused panic among residents of the town. Suspects alleged to have been involved in the killing have since been charged in court. Groups of police officers including trainee policemen who are on attachment have been deployed to patrol the streets and help in maintaining security round the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment