Thursday, July 19, 2012

Miguna Miguna's Statement on ASSASSINATION claims


Miguna Miguna's Statement on ASSASSINATION claims


A STATEMENT ABOUT THREATS TO MY LIFE

BY MIGUNA MIGUNA

At about 3:45pm (Kenyan time) today, I received an email from aTracy.Wambui@ovi.com stating:

“To Miguna
MR MIGUNA WE WILL KILL YOU WHEN YOU COME BACK.WE NEED
YOUR KIDNEY.SAHIZI TUTAKUTUMIA MAJINI ZA MOMBASA
Sent from my Nokia phone.”

I do not know who this person is. I have never communicated with her/him.

Following barely a day after the chilling one party type demonstrations against me led by the ODM MP for Nyando, Fred Outa, in Ahero, in which they not only burnt my effigy, but also participated in a mock burial of a coffin, it is clear that the Prime Minister Raila Odinga and his supports have resolved to engage in physical, emotional, psycholigical and other attacks in order not just to divert attention from the issues raised in my book; their intention is also to permanently silence dissent and kill debate.

Suppression of dissent. Muzzling one’s opponents.  Threats of assassinations.  Personal attacks.  These cannot be good for the rule of law, contituitionalism and good governance. They are not traits one can associate with a person who claims to be the best reformer in the country.

Eerily, Raila Odinga and his campaign secretariat have been DIRECTLY linked to these acts of hooliganism and lawlessness. None other than his deputy patron of Friends of Raila (FORA) lobby group, Gitobu Imanyara, addressed a press conference to hurl epithets at me and scandalise my name. He claimed, falsely, that I was a “fugitive from justice” even though I have not been charged with any criminal offence. The same day – and in what is clearly a coordinated attack – Raila’s longstanding speech-writer and consultant, Sarah Elderkin, released a broadside against me and accused me of all manner of things without any substantiation. Readers will recall that Sarah’s opinion of me is contained in pages 496-498 of my book. Moreover, she wasn’t present at the meetings she purports to report on and not privy to the discussions. How can she then refute things she is ignorant of?

Raila should come out in the open and confront the facts in my book. She cannot hide behind Caroli Omondi, Sarah Elderkin, Gitobu Imanyara and maky other busy bodies who Kenyans haven’t bestowed the title of “Prime Minister” on. Raila is DIRECTLY accountable to the people of Kenya, including me. He cannot hide forever as the truth
has a stubborn way of curling against the culture of impunity.

Finally, I appeal to the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Mathew Iteere, the CID Director and the Director General of the National Security Service, Mr. Gichangi, to thoroughly and expeditiously investigate the threat against me and apprehend the people behind them and have them prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Otherwise, I shall not be cowed or muzzled. The struggle will and must continue.

Miguna Miguna
Dated this 18th day of July 2012 at the City of Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment