Monday, August 15, 2011

Susan Anyango: Miss World Kenya 2011



  SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTEMAILRATING
Susan Anyango. Photo/FILE
Susan Anyango. Photo/FILE 
By JOHN MUCHIRI Jmuchiri@ke.nationmedia.com
Posted  Saturday, August 13  2011 at  18:00
Share This Story
6Share 
She lost her dad at the age of five and her mum when she was 12. That life has not been a bed of roses for the 19-year-old did not, however, stop her from being crowned Miss World-Kenya 2011 a fortnight ago. JOHN MUCHIRI sought to know the secret of the beauty queen’s power of focus
RELATED STORIES
You will be representing Kenya in the Miss World competition in London this October, how does that feel?
I didn’t think I would get this far, but I am excited about it and I hope and pray for the best. I’m also asking for all the support I can get before then.
You are only 19, don’t you feel a bit too young for such a title?
The competition was open to girls as young as 16, so I don’t feel young at all.
How did you get into the competition?
I actually had no idea the auditions were going on until I chanced on an announcement in the media inviting people for Githurai auditions. I went there and was selected to go to the boot camp.
Have you ever been into any modelling competitions before?
Yes. In my first month at High school I took part in the school pageant and was crowned Miss Kerugoya Girls. It was funny since I was just in Form One. I reigned for two years and gave up the crown while in Form Three. Until this year, I have not been into any other beauty pageant. However, I have been in a few advertisements here and there.
How was the competition at the boot camp?
Very interesting. Many times it could get so challenging and I felt like I would quit, but we all hang on to the end. We had contact with the outside world since we had laptops and phones, but rules did not allow us to reveal the location of the boot camp.
Did you think you would be the eventual winner?
I knew I was going to stay in the house for a while, but I did not think I would win. I joined the competition mainly because I wanted to have a feel of the real modelling world. But I’m very happy that I won.
You have a very painful past, tell me more about it.
Yes, I lost my parents at a very tender age, but that’s life. I have two older brothers, one is 31 and the other 29.
Did they support you after you lost your parents?
RELATED STORIES
They did and they still do. But along the way, I depended on relatives too.
You are of mixed heritage?
Yes, my mum was Russian and my dad Luo.
So where did you stay during your high school days?
Mostly with relatives but while in Form Four, I moved into my own house, one that I could afford. I still live in the same house.
What is your driving force in life?
I just want to see people happy. That would make life worth living.
Has anything changed ever since you won the title?
I am yet to see that, it’s been only two weeks. At least I have a brand new car so no more matatus.
How about friends, where you shop and even at home?
A lot of people I haven’t heard from in a long while have been trying to contact me after I won. I can’t go shopping to Toi market anymore where I used to frequent, and also can’t hang out just anywhere. But I think with time, I will get used to it.
How is your relationship life like?
I’m single, shelving relationships for a while because I have to concentrate on my role as the new Miss World-Kenya title holder.
Are you sure you are not breaking a heart out there by saying that?
Not at all.
RELATED STORIES
What projects are you planning to work on now?
We are continuing with the anti-jigger campaign as well as cancer awareness and children’s rights.
What do you plan to achieve by the end of your reign?
I want to change the face of Miss Kenya, which I think is often misunderstood. If I could change a few people’s lifestyles in everything that I do, I would be very happy.

2 comments:

  1. i love you comments. you are a role model girl to Kenyan girls because i am Kenyan too

    ReplyDelete