Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ambassador insists he is still in charge

By Nation Reporter
Posted Monday, March 14 2011 at 22:00

The Kenyan Ambassador to Spain, Mr Mwakai Kikonde Sio was on Monday adamant that he was still in charge of the office despite a move by the Foreign Affairs ministry to recall him.
Mr Sio told the Parliamentary Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations that the government had erred in “prematurely” ending his tour of duty before his four-year term expired.
His term had been scheduled to end on November 14, this year.
The envoy said he was not against the government’s wishes to recall him but wanted time to leave and a “dignified” notice.
He read out several letters written by senior ministry officials requesting him to vacate the office, many of them demanding immediate compliance.
“I even received a letter when I was in hospital,” he said.
“I am not refusing to come home. All I want is to be given time for a proper farewell as required in diplomatic circles. I cannot simply jump into a plane,” he said.
“But in the meantime, I am still the ambassador...I have no doubt about that,” he went on.
Mr Sio told the House team that his ouster could be politically motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment