Sunday, August 15, 2010

'I have learnt one of the biggest lessons in politics', says Kiraitu

Energy Minister Kiraitu Murungi regards the endorsement of new Constitution as one of the biggest achievements of his generation, he talked to writer Kipchumba Some

You are one of the leaders who agitated for the new Constitution, what does its endorsement mean to you?

I got into politics as a street fighter for constitutional reforms, and over the years the struggle has taken many forms. It is my joy to see that the journey we started has reached this stage. I have a feeling of accomplishment, like the way one feels after an exam.

You were Justice and Constitutional Affairs Minister in 2005 when the first Proposed Constitution was rejected. Do you think the approach that time was wrong?

I don’t think so. Even at that time, we were supporting a new constitution. Unfortunately, the process got frustrated more by the politics of the day rather than our commitment to deliver a new constitution. But I took all as another step towards achieving dreams of a new Constitution.

What were some of the lessons you learnt from that experience?

We had not known how deep the tribal factor in this country is. The rest of the country isolated communities from Mt Kenya. I started asking myself why so? And I learnt that we were being accused of too much arrogance, greed and wanting to oppress others. We were very conscious of that when we were entering the phase and discussions that led to this new Constitution.

The ‘No’ side is demanding amendments on the contentious issues. How do you intend to include them?

The wounds are still raw. We need the tempers of the campaign to cool down first and the country united then we can look for an appropriate opportunity to have an objective and sober look at those issues.

How do you explain the fact that ‘No’ had a strong showing in Meru region?

These are highly religious people. Some of them consider what their religious leaders tell them to be law. There is nothing political about it.

Do you support calls to sack ministers who opposed the constitution?

If they can listen to me, in 2005, I was the one calling for the sacking. But look where it led the country. That fellow who is sacked is not going to sit in his home. He is also a politician. He is going to mobilise some constituency and continue causing problems for the country. I think we should be more magnanimous, we should learn to understand and accommodate and forgive each other. In politics you never know who you might need tomorrow. If you asked me, I think we should engage with them.

You were considered a hardliner in President Kibaki’s first Government, yet you have taken a low profile in the second term, why the change?

First, when I was sacked, there were two Kiraitus - one for the media and the real one. The one who was being fought as being corrupt, arrogant, was that of the media. But I was myself all the time. Nobody took time to understand me. I was taken as anti-reformist. But I think when the country has cooled down, and a more objective assessment of my work done, history will show I had the interest of this country at heart.

Would you say, as most people do, that power got in to your heads and destroyed the Narc dream?

Once the MOU politics came in, everyone including the media took sides against us. We tried very hard, but everything was being perceived through tribal lenses. Whenever people saw me at Bomas they would scream Mt Kenya mafia. I was literally booed off and never ever given a chance even to talk.

You once told former President Moi to go home and watch how a nation is governed. Looking at the problems that have beset Kibaki’s regime, do you regret that statement?

I really don’t. Objectively speaking, things have greatly improved from the days of the Nyayo era. There are no massive land grabbing or torture chambers. In any case that statement was taken out of context. At that time there was a lot of pressure on me, as minister for Justice, to prosecute Moi. I gave that statement in the context that there was no need for that. That Moi should be allowed to have his rest and see how it should be done instead of dragging him to the courts and all that.

What would you say is the single greatest failure of Kibaki’s regime?

I would say it was our failure to manage politics in a way to avoid the 2008 violence. I think we focused more on economic development that we forgot the need for equal effort for the political development of the country.

What role do you see yourself playing in the Kibaki succession?

I have been one of the lucky people to have been with him when he got in and hopefully until he gets out. If my people of South Imenti will agree to give me another five years, I will be very grateful. I would like to see the new constitution being implemented. The new constitution has opened new political possibilities and I am sure I cannot miss one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment